Pattern: Chloe by Victory Patterns
After I watched the Great British Sewing Bee last month, I was inspired to push myself with a sewing project and try learning a few new things. The Chloe dress has been on my to-do list for the last year, so it was the perfect challenge!
In general, Victory Patterns makes really fashion forward patterns with plenty of cool options for variations. Chloe is a great little minidress with princess seams and some really nice details like welt pockets. I’m pretty sure this will end up being my uniform this summer!
I was really impressed by how easy to follow the pattern was. There were many “firsts” for me when making my Chloe — it was my first dress, my first lined garment, my first time matching up a patterned fabric, and my first time making pockets. The instructions and pattern markings were very helpful and at no point did I get frustrated (…that’s also a first for me!). I kept thinking to myself “this is too easy, I must be doing something wrong!”
The fit of this dress is also something I was impressed with. I made the size 6, and except for a couple of inches I took in at the waist, the dress fits like a glove. It’s actually flattering and very comfortable to wear at the same time. I’ve never had people react to a garment I’ve made in such a positive way, I think in large part due to the great design and fit.
I should also mention that I love having the option of a PDF pattern because I prefer having my pattern pieces printed on actual paper, and the ability to re-print if I mess something up (which has been known to happen!).
I plan to make at another Chloe with cap sleeves and can’t wait to try out some of the other Victory patterns (I’m lookin’ at you, Roxanne.) All in all, I would definitely recommend Chloe to anyone because the instructions are clear enough for even a beginner, and it would look great on any body type.
Moving on, can we talk about this fabric?
At first I was planning to make this dress out of a light coloured linen, but then came across this awesome, crazy and super cheap cotton at my local fabric store and fell in love! It wasn’t until I got home that I realized how challenging this fabric would be to work with. For one, the intricate pattern would prove to be challenging to line up across all 7 pieces of the dress. Also, the pattern wasn’t printed exactly on grain with the fabric, so the dress hangs wonky at some points where I cut the pieces to line up with the pattern rather than the grain of the fabric. There were also entire chunks of the fabric that were misprinted and the cotton was really loosely woven which added a few more challenges to cutting out my pieces.
But in the end, I still love this fabric! It’s so pretty and intricate, and is the perfect pattern for a summer dress.
If my Colette Patterns Clovers were my Betty Draper pants, then I think it’s safe to say this is my Megan Draper dress! If I ever get invited to a disco party, I’ll have the perfect outfit!