You will need:
an appropriate sized button
needle and thread
2 straight pins
1. Thread your needle and tie the ends together in a double knot.
2. Place your pins in an X shape where you want your button to go.
3. Starting at the back of your fabric, pull the needle up through one hole of the button and back down the opposite hole.
4. Pass the thread about 2 – 3 more times through each set of holes.
5. Bring the needle up through the fabric one last time, but not through the hole in the button.
6. Wrap the thread around the base of the button 3 – 5 times to form a shank.
(The shank gives you the extra room you need to button your garment together)
7. Push the needle back through the fabric and tie a double knot to secure. Trim excess thread.